Working for a Trust, we were commissioned to carry out a watersports centre options appraisal for a quarry site to assess the opportunity of introducing a watersports centre and associated water sports uses.
Our work included:
- Carrying out a site assessment and review of the policy context to ensure the project helped to deliver key policy outcomes.
- A market demand assessment with a focus on the residential population living within specific drivetime contours of the quarry, the tourism sector and activity marketplace. A review of the competitive landscape in terms of activity provision was also carried out to identify potential gaps within the market place.
- A review of individual watersports was carried out to identify the core facilities required to deliver specific watersports uses. Market trends for each use were also identified.
- Five case examples were reviewed to identify critical success factors but also how to overcome key challenges the individual centres have faced through development and operational phases.
- An option appraisal set out the key guiding principles for the project, which provided a framework for the development options. Various levels of intervention or options were identified (based on different forms and scale of development). A weighted scoring matrix was used to assess the development options and for the preferred option a programme of phased development was set out.
How can we help?
If you have any questions about our work in the activity sector please don’t hesitate to call Richard Linington on 023 9248 1999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org