Working in a multi-disciplinary team, we examined the optimum mix of tourism and leisure facilities in the regeneration of a former 190 hectare coalfield located on a Green Belt site close to Manchester into an innovative mixed use country park.
Option assessed as part of our work included introducing an:
- An activity centre
- Golf course
- Fishing lakes
- Play facilities
- A catering offer
- Events arena
- Visitor centre with an education offer
A key component of the work was to create a green oasis with zoning to incorporate a nature based offer and links with the local canal network.
Our work included detailed market research, bench-marking, consultation and business planning to identify suitable end uses. We also developed an exit strategy along with governance and funding options.
We assessed each option using a number of criteria:
- Linkages / Complementarity
- Market (a) Demand (b) Competition (supply)
- Planning and Policy Fit
- Constraints / Conflicts
- Operational Considerations
- Management Considerations
- Financial Parameters / Degree of Risk
- Funding / Exit Strategy
The objectives behind the creation of the new country park had a strong emphasis on improving the health and wellbeing of residents and also to:
- Create linkages between the town’s open spaces and the countryside
- Promote social inclusion
- Deliver event programmes
- Generate employment
- Develop and promote biodiversity
- Add to the tourism profile of the town
- Provide opportunities for Learning outside of the Classroom
How can we help?
If you have any questions about preparing a business plan or masterplan for a country park or recreation site or would like to discuss our work please don’t hesitate to call Richard Linington on 023 9248 1999 or email email@example.com