Client: Chichester District Council
Masterplanning and coastal regeneration planning – working with Terra Firma Landscape Architects and Marks Barfield Architects, we were commissioned by Chichester District Council to produce a regeneration masterplan for the East Beach area in Selsey.
Our work incorporated
- Carrying out a consultation exercise to identify the needs of key stakeholders and members of the public
- Using a range of case examples to identify innovative approaches to coastal regeneration
- A market review to underpin the selection of opportunities. This included a review of tourism data and a demographic assessment
- Commercial opportunities and broader financial parameters were identified also identified
- The masterplan had to meet the needs of the local community including fishermen, special interest and education based visits and tourists
- The site is low-lying which is at the vanguard of climate change adaption
- The key outcome included a development masterplan for the site which identified a core hub combining learning uses alongside fishing and commercial uses. A number of spokes of the hub were identified including a sports and play zone, the coastal strip, car parking, local retail businesses and wildlife area.