Working with Arad Research PSC was commissioned by Cadw to prepare a tourism and commercial masterplan and development strategy for Caerphilly Castle, an important historical monument and a Grade I Listed building. Our work focussed on identifying the tourism and commercial opportunities at Caerphilly Castle and its confines and made recommendations in respect of further development whilst respecting the qualities and requirements of the conservation principles that make the Castle a special place to visit.
- Carried out a market assessment to identify the potential size of the visitor market and future demand for a world class historical attraction within the south east Wales region
- Reviewed the current operation from a financial, operational and customer perspective to identify the baseline position
- Carried out an extensive programme of consultation with Cadw staff and other interested parties including Visit Wales and Caerphilly County Borough Council
- Reviewed a number of best practice case examples, which helped to set out what visitor expect from a landmark heritage visitor experience
- Analysed the sense of welcome and visitor flows to help create a more engaging visitor experience
- Carried out research, identified and assessed the commercial opportunities (events, admissions, retail, catering, education etc). Our work also considered interpretation and play.
- Identified the financial impact of the financial investment (i.e. increased admission numbers, visitor spend)
- Set out a costed and phased development and delivery plan
- Identified the potential economic impacts of the investment programme
- Identified potential funding sources, including grant funding, lottery and equity funding both within the public and commercial sectors
This lead to the production of a tourism masterplan for Caerphilly Castle.
Have a look at some of the other castle and fort projects we have worked on.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss our work please don’t hesitate to call Richard Linington on 023 9248 1999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org