Client: Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council
Planning Solutions Consulting was commissioned to explore opportunities to develop Gnoll Estate Country Park in order to increase revenue, build its appeal as a visitor attraction and develop the site as a base from which visitors can explore the wider area.
Gnoll Estate Country Park is located on the edge of the market town of Neath. The country park consists of approximately 219 acres of parkland and a number of Grade 2 listed historic structures within its landscape. Gnoll Estate is a popular country park which has strong ties to the local community.
The visitor experience of Gnoll Estate Country Park includes:
- A visitor centre with café, public toilets and meeting facilities
- A nine-hole pitch and putt golf course (incorporating foot golf)
- Two children’s playgrounds (traditional and adventure playground)
- Three large attractive ponds (two stocked for fishing)
- Extensive walks and trails
- Moss House Reservoir
- Ruins of the former Gnoll House and Cellars
- A range of different landscapes including formal cascades
- A series of events staged throughout the year, including fun fair rides, which are run by an external partner
Our work led to the production of a visitor experience masterplan, based upon a review of the site and the current visitor experience, a series of workshops with Officers, Members, staff and interested parties and a module of primary research (which generated over 800 responses). The development action plan sets out key development opportunities themed under key categories and included the rationale, the impact on the visitor experience, financial impact, staff resource implications and priority of the individual action. We also produced a supporting concept plan to show how the actions could form part of a cohesive and holistic plan for the country park operation and offer.
Find out more about Gnoll Estate Country Park here.
Images kindly provided by Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council.
How can we help?
If you have any questions or would like to discuss our work within the country parks and parks sector please don’t hesitate to call Richard Linington on 023 9248 1999 or email email@example.com