The former Pithead Baths site is a semi-rural site located on the periphery of Llanhilleth in Blaenau Gwent’s lower Ebbw Fach valley.
On behalf of Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council we carried out specialist consultancy work to undertake a ‘Future Options Study’ on the former Pithead Baths site in Llanhilleth, Blaenau Gwent. For this commission, we worked alongside specialist quantity surveyor (Mildred Howells) and specialist residential surveyors (Rawlins and Madley).
We were tasked with exploring and evaluating the long-term viability of a number of project proposals put forward by the Council for the Pithead Baths as follows:
- An outdoor activity centre
- Brewery, with bar and music venue
- Residential development
We also conceived and evaluated a fourth option for a mixed use development.
Our work included a developing a detailed evidence base comprising demand analysis, project cost projections and review of alignment with emerging market trends to consider the long term viability of the proposed projects. Our work also included.
The study also incorporated the following elements:
- Reviewing the current and anticipated economic conditions in Blaenau Gwent / South East Wales
- Extensive stakeholder consultation and primary research among the local community
- Identifying the degree of alignment of the options to current / emerging market trends in housing, leisure and business sectors
- Ensuring that the current regeneration activities / strategies / action plans within Blaenau Gwent were taken into account
- Assessing the financial viability – accurate assessment of costs associated with implementing proposal i.e. construction / demolition costs, legal fees
The different options were subject to rigorous analysis leading to a recommended preferred way forward with supporting evidence.
How can we help?
If you have any questions about carrying out a heritage options appraisal or would like to discuss our work please don’t hesitate to call Richard Linington on 023 9248 1999 or email email@example.com