Client: Tendring Council
Tendring District Council (the Council), in partnership with the Environment Agency, has implemented a £36 million coastal defence project between Clacton Pier and Holland Haven, which has resulted in a five kilometre stretch of new sandy beaches along this seafront replacing the existing defences. The coastal defence scheme created 23 new beaches and presented a once in a lifetime opportunity for Clacton-on-Sea to enhance its tourism and leisure offer.
Planning Solutions Consulting Limited (PSCL) worked with the Council on to develop ideas and an overall vision for the seafront between Clacton Pier and Holland Haven.
Our work incorporated
- Assessing the individual sites along the coastal strip
- Carrying out a market review of the latest trends in the leisure and tourism sectors including visitor attractions and accommodation
- Identifying and assessing core opportunities to create hubs of different activities along the stretch of coast
- Identifying potential commercial interest to take forward potential projects
- Overcoming some negative perceptions of the area
- The research and assessment led to the preparation of a Seafront Development Plan which sets out an ambitious package of projects and initiatives, creating a series of linked destinations to promote positive action and a step change in the perception of the town as a visitor destination.