Client: Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority
Planning Solutions Consulting was commissioned to prepare a business plan for Castell Henllys Iron Age Village, a leading heritage and visitor centre.
Castell Henllys is the only reconstructed Iron Age village in the UK where the roundhouse and granary has been built on the site of the original post holes. The site is set within thirty acres of attractive woodland and river meadows. Core elements of the visitor experience include a visitor centre with café, retail space and interpretation area. The exhibition area incorporates interactive screens, videos and interpretative boards. Externally, there is a network of trails (including a barefoot walk) and the impressive Iron Age village. An extensive programme of events is also hosted at Castell Henllys.
Castell Henllys is one of the most extensively excavated and studied Iron Age hill forts in the UK and has contributed significantly to the understanding of Iron Age society in West Wales.
Our work focussed on carrying out:
- A review of the operational and strategic context of the site
- A baseline assessment of the assets and overall visitor experience, helping to identify areas of the offer which could be enhanced
- A market assessment, identifying how future trends are likely to impact on the visitor experience
- Reviewing comparator visitor attractions
- Consultation with staff and volunteers, including interviews, workshops and an online survey to identify their aspirations for Castell Henllys and to test our initial thoughts on product development opportunities
- Developing a vision for Castell Henllys
- Preparing a development strategy with action plan setting out priority actions with timescales and indicative outcomes and supporting business plan.
Find out more about Castell Henllys Iron Age Village here.
Have a look at some of the other projects we have worked on in our National Parks.
How can we help?
If you have any questions or would like to discuss our work please don’t hesitate to call Richard Linington on 023 9248 1999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org