Client: Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority
Planning Solutions Consulting was commissioned to prepare a business plan for Carew Castle and Tidal Mill.
The Castle is set in a stunning location overlooking a 23-acre Millpond has been developed through a number of distinct phases. Close to the Castle entrance stands the 11th century Carew Cross, one of the finest early medieval Christian monuments in Wales. Since 1983, there has been an extensive programme of restoration, including the development of a new visitor centre and ‘the Nest’ cafe.
The Castle is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) due to its bat population and several locally or regionally rare species of plants. The 19th Century Carew Tidal Mill, the only restored tidal mill in Wales and one of just five in the UK is a part of the visitor experience. The Mill is no longer in operation, however the site includes the machinery, exhibition and displays showing how water from the causeway has been used as a source of energy through the ages.
A programme of events is hosted at the site and education visits are also offered.
Our work focussed on carrying out:
- A review of the operational and strategic context of the site
- A baseline assessment of the assets and overall visitor experience, helping to identify areas of the offer which could be enhanced
- A market assessment, identifying how future trends are likely to impact on the visitor experience
- Reviewing comparator visitor attractions
- Consultation with staff and volunteers, including interviews, workshops and an online survey to identify their aspirations for Carew Castle and Tidal Mill and to test our initial thoughts on product development opportunities
- Developing a vision for Carew Castle and Tidal Mill
- Preparing a development strategy with action plan setting out priority actions with timescales and indicative outcomes and supporting business plan.
Find out more about Carew Castle and Tidal Mill Business Plan here.
Have a look at some of the other projects we have worked on in our National Parks.
How can we help?
If you have any questions or would like to discuss our work please don’t hesitate to call Richard Linington on 023 9248 1999 or email email@example.com